The holiday season is upon us and, with that, of course comes fun parties and delicious treats. Staying on track during this festive, busy time can be challenging for many people.
It’s important to maintain a balanced outlook on food choices and avoid the trap of “all or nothing” thinking. If you know that you may be indulging in a decadent dinner or dessert, don’t write off the whole day. Make healthy, satisfying choices leading up to the event, enjoy your treat and then get back on track.
This recipe for Blueberry Breakfast Bread Pudding is easy and fast and a client favorite. It’s a twist on classic PB&J and has more protein to help keep you full all morning long. Cooking delicious, cleaned up versions of our favorite comfort foods can help us minimize—or even prevent—holiday weight gain, lethargy and stomach discomfort.
This recipe makes one serving, but—in the spirit of the holidays—simply multiply the recipe by number of servings to share the wealth!
Blueberry Breakfast Bread Pudding
- 1 slice of wholewheat French bread cubed
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp nut butter melted
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a food processor or blender, add the egg whites, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sweetener (if using).
- Mix well and pour the liquid on top of the bread.
- Be sure to thoroughly coat all the pieces.
- Transfer to a single serve ramekin.
- Top with the blueberries and bake for approximately 30 minutes. (You’ll know it's done when you tap the top with a fork and it bounces back.)
- Drizzle with the nut butter and enjoy!